PHOENIX - A dog died, but four people managed to escape an early morning house fire near downtown Phoenix.
Firefighters said they were called to a home near 15th Avenue and Buckeye Road around 2:00 a.m. on Friday.
When officials arrived they found flames burning through one home and heavy smoke drifting into another.
Adella Aiello was inside of one of the homes. She said it was very difficult to get everyone outside because one of the men trapped inside is confined to a wheelchair.
"Thank god we were able to make it out alive," said Aiello.
Firefighters said the home is actually two homes attached to each other. The fire started in the rear structure.
Trapped inside of the second home was one of the family's dogs. Witnesses said the dog - who was old, blind, and deaf - stayed on the owners bed while the fire burned around him because he didn't know where to go.
Firefighters are still investigating what started the fire. Witnesses who live in the home said the back part of the house doesn't have electricity, people inside were using candles for light.
Firefighters have not said whether or not candles could have started the fire.