Medical examiner's report rules 2-year-old Savannah Cross's death a homicide

PHOENIX - Nearly a year after a 2-year-old girl died in Phoenix , an autopsy released shows she suffered physical abuse and exposure to drugs and her death is being called a homicide.

The final report released Thursday by the Medical Examiner's Office indicates Savannah Cross died of "multiple traumatic injuries, acute methamphetamine and diphenhydramine exposure and dehydration." She was also underweight for her age and stature, according to the report.

Savanna died while being cared for by 27-year-old Ryan Reed and 28-year-old Allison Clement.

The pair were arrested and charged with child abuse at the time, but not murder charges.

A family friend told ABC15 Savannah's mother was a stripper and would leave the child with Reed and Clement for weeks at a time and often not pay the bill.

Reed and Clement ran the babysitting service through Craigslist.

According to the medical examiner's report, police reported there were two other children living in the home and the adults also babysat for two other children.

The report notes that one caregiver admitted to kicking Savannah in the stomach as she lay on her side and put his whole body weight on the child on December 10, 2012.

The next morning one of the caregivers brought the girl out of her bedroom and she was moaning but otherwise unresponsive.

Savannah was taken to the bathroom where cold water was sprayed on her face from a shower nozzle. She reportedly then vomited and then stopped breathing.

Police reportedly found over-the-counter sleeping pills near Savannah's playpen and two pills were unaccounted for.

CPR was performed and Savannah was taken to the hospital where she was pronounced deceased.

According to the autopsy report, some of the other injuries included an apparent cigarette burn on the girl's hand, a healing eye injury, an apparent bite mark on her leg most likely caused by an adult, bruising all over her body and the presence of several drugs in her system.

Reed was re-arrested in November after evidence showed he allegedly molested the little girl, according to authorities.

Print this article Back to Top