Fire destroys central Phoenix home, witness reports hearing explosions

PHOENIX - Authorities are investigating the cause of a fire that destroyed a home in central Phoenix Saturday morning.

Phoenix fire Capt. Tony Mure said someone called 911 to report the fire, saying they'd heard explosions at the home near 19th and Missouri avenues.

Mure said the fire was possibly fueled by a gas leak and firefighters had to let the fire burn itself out until they could find the source of the leak.

Southwest Gas crews have pinched off the line and let the remainder of the gas burn off.

Mure said the house is structurally compromised. It was unoccupied at the time of the fire.

He said the home was being used to store furniture for the owner and an electrical line sparking may have led to the fire.

The investigation into the exact cause is ongoing.

Print this article Back to Top

Comments