Federico's Restaurant offers free food as part of their 'Come Back, On Us' promotion

PHOENIX - Owners of a Mexican food restaurant in Litchfield Park, where health officials say more than 50 people were sickened, offered free food to several customers as part of their "Come Back, On Us" promotion.

Maricopa County health officials say at least 74 people were sickened after eating at the restaurant on July 23rd and July 24th. They are still trying to determine what items were contaminated with the E. coli bacteria.

The infection caused vomiting, cramps and kidney failure in some cases.

Federico's owners said the restaurant has since gotten a clean bill of health from Maricopa County and worked with the "Queen of Clean" Linda Cobb to work on cleaning protocols, a news release said.

During the evening dinner rush, one restaurant was completely full with several people waiting to eat outside of the restaurant.

"I feel like accidents happen. You give a place a chance and like I said, I've been coming in here for years and its been awesome," said JD Harris, who stopped by to grab some free food.

The one-day promotion lasts until 7 p.m. Monday at any Arizona Federico's location. Customers were also able to grab a free breakfast earlier in the day.

Customers had the option to choose choose a ham, egg, cheese, pico & potato burrito or a bacon burrito with potatoes for breakfast. For dinner, customers can choose a bean and cheese, green chile, or red chicken burrito.

Tom Dominguez said, "You hear about it in all the stores where they pre-package the vegetables and lettuce and all that. People are getting sick all over so it can happen anywhere."

On September 30th, the company will also donate 20 percent of their sales to the Arizona chapter of the National Kidney Foundation.

Print this article Back to Top

Comments