Doctors urge you to stay safe around fireworks

PHOENIX - Fireworks can be fun for the family, but they can be more dangerous than you think.

Doctors at the Arizona Burn Center and other Valley burn treatment centers are standing by, ready to treat patients Friday and Saturday.

They said they most often see injuries to hands and eyes.

They also treat a lot of burns from sparklers.

The tip of a sparkler can actually burn as hot as 2,000 degrees.

Doctors urge you to supervise kids when you're setting off fireworks.

They also said don't rely on the fireworks going off when you expect them to and take extra precautions around them.

If you do get hurt, make sure to see a doctor right away—even if doesn’t seem severe.

"Burns are a special type of injury, because when that first layer of skin is lost, patients can get dehydrated very quickly, so it's important to come in and seek additional attention for wound management," said Dr. Jordan Neighbors with the Arizona Burn Center. 

Burn units often get busiest the day after the 4th of July.

Print this article Back to Top

Comments
Your Region News
West Valley Phoenix Metro Southeast Valley Northeast Valley Northern Arizona Central/Southern AZ