Ahwatukee home burns, plumber hurt

AHWATUKEE - The hot weather prompted a large firefighter response to a house fire in Ahwatukee on Saturday.

Phoenix fire Capt. Jonathan Jacobs said a plumber was working at the home near Chandler Boulevard and 17th Avenue when the first-alarm fire was reported around 2:15 p.m.

The 49-year-old plumber suffered a minor burn injury on his arm and was taken to a local hospital. There were no other injuries.

Officials say a large response was called for due to the hot weather. Firefighters took turns working the fire scene in 20 minute shifts to prevent overheating.

Jacobs said firefighters were called out of the home once the roof started to come down in several sections and tiles fell on crews. He said the fire was fed by a gas line once it got into the attic.

Jacobs said the damage to the home was substantial.

Print this article Back to Top

Comments