Fire damages Bashas' store in Flagstaff

FLAGSTAFF, AZ - A Bashas' in Flagstaff suffered about $500K worth of damage after a fire broke out at the store Monday night.

Fire Department spokesman Chief Mike Iacona said the fire started at the Humphreys Street and Navajo Road location around 7 p.m.

Employees and customers were evacuated before the blaze engulfed the front overhanging facade at the supermarket. A 20-foot-deep section of the front roof later partially collapsed.

Officials said the fire originated in a janitorial closet outside of the store.

Flames leaped 25 feet into the air and a towering plume of black smoke could be seen from miles away.

No injuries were reported.

A crowd of around 120 people gathered to watch firefighters pour water on hot spots and chop holes in the roof to allow in air.

Flagstaff Fire Department Capt. Mark Johnson said several adjoining businesses might have suffered minor smoke damage.

 

 

 

Print this article Back to Top

Comments