Scottsdale firefighters battle 1st alarm structure fire

SCOTTSDALE, AZ - Several dogs were killed in a fire in North Scottsdale Friday night.

The fire started around 8:40 p.m. near 120th Street and Mountain View Road.

Firefighters said flames were 30 feet high when they arrived on scene.

Fire crews told ABC15, they were told the structure was a dog kennel. At one point it was believed 20 dogs had died.

Scottsdale fire crews said Saturday morning that five deceased dogs had been found inside.

The owner, Valerie Skidmore, said she had 15 dogs, 10 of which were kept in the structure. Five are confirmed to be safe in the owner's home.

Another five dogs were unaccounted for as of Saturday morning.

Skidmore told ABC15 she had 10,000 books, 2,500 sculptures and five dogs in her studio last night.

She lost it all, this coming just two months after her husband died.

Skidmore said the Papillons are therapy dogs, helping other people. Some of them were in the house and one survived the fire.

She said she's convinced that even if her studio had been clean, the dogs still would have died in the fire.

"I was planning to get everything cleaned up... that was... the rest of my life was to be cleaning, and sorting, and organizing," Skidmore said.

Firefighters said the structure is a total loss. Officials said getting a water supply to the fire was extremely difficult because there are not many fire hydrants in the area.

Fire crews are still investigating how the fire started. Skidmore said she believes the fire started with an electrical short.

Print this article Back to Top

Comments
Your Region News
West Valley Phoenix Metro Southeast Valley Northeast Valley Northern Arizona Central/Southern AZ