Authorities have identified two workers who died after they were exposed to toxic fumes in a sewer Monday afternoon in Scottsdale, fire officials said.
Scottsdale police identified the workers as 41-year-old Jarrod Camp, of Phoenix, and Jeremy Johnson, 36, of Phoenix.
An 18-year-old worker, who was not identified, remains at the hospital. He was able to climb out of the 15-foot sewer, but was lethargic.
Emergency crews were alerted to the incident near The Promenade around 4 p.m. Monday after a bystander heard screams coming from the sewer.
The three men were employed with Camp Industries. They were conducting repair work in the sewer, but were not wearing full protective gear, according to Scottsdale fire officials.
"Hydrogen sulfide is a really bad chemical that is lethal at 250 parts per million and it was about 200 parts per million with the hazmat teams got out there," said Jay Ducot, Scottsdale Fire Division Chief.
The Medical Examiner has not released an official cause of death yet. The investigation is ongoing.