Ripped cord blamed for hot air ballon accident in Carefree

CAREFREE, Ariz. - A hot air balloon broke loose and caught fire at a festival in Carefree Saturday night.

Spectators were at the annual Hot Air Balloon Festival when a cord holding one of the balloons down broke free. The balloon owner told ABC15 the windy conditions added to the situation.

Sarah Bryant caught the accident on video saying, "It was just a freak accident, that there was just enough strength behind the balloon that it just broke."

A pilot was in the balloon when it took off. He was able to fly it and land it safely a mile away from the festival.

No one was hurt.

Print this article Back to Top

Comments