Steubenville rape case update: Ma'lik Richmond released from juvenile detention

STEUBENVILLE, OH - One of two former high school football players convicted in a rape that shook the eastern Ohio community of Steubenville has been released from juvenile detention, his attorney said Monday.

Ma'lik Richmond, who was 16 when he was convicted last year of raping a 16-year-old girl in Steubenville in 2012, was released, his attorney Walter Madison said. Richmond had been sentenced to a minimum of one year in a juvenile correctional facility.

Richmond and Steubenville High School football teammate Trenton Mays were convicted in March of the rape, which attracted national attention after photos and videos of the incident made their way onto social media. Mays, 17 when he was convicted, also was found guilty of disseminating a nude photo of a minor and was sentenced to two years.

Authorities said the girl was raped at a party in August 2012.

Print this article Back to Top

Comments