HILLSBOROUGH COUNTY, FL - A second sinkhole opened up Monday in a Florida neighborhood about three miles from a sinkhole that formed beneath a home last week, swallowing a man who is now presumed dead.
Calls from residents in the Hillsborough County, Fla. neighborhood came in around 4:20 p.m. Monday.
The family who resides in the home was there when the sinkhole opened. Shaken by what occurred, the family declined to speak on camera. They told Scripps station ABC Action News they lived in the home almost two years but now want to move.
According to Hillsborough County Fire Rescue, there was no structure damage and no one was hurt. However, a fence dividing the home and a neighboring residence did sustain damage.
As fire rescue and code enforcement officers swarmed the block, neighbors gathered outside and grew increasingly nervous that this sinkhole could be connected to the sinkhole which swallowed a man Thursday night.
"This is not geologically linked to the other sinkhole," said William Puz, spokesperson for Hillsborough County.
Puz called the situation "evolving."
While there were no evacuations, Puz said the family who lived in the home was told they could either stay in the home or go somewhere they felt safe. The family opted for the latter option.
Katia Vargas, who lives just a couple houses from where the latest sinkhole appeared, said inspectors have told her family their house sits over multiple sinkholes.
"It is really scary that this happened here," explained Vargas.
Vargas said her family has decided to pack up and stay at hotel until they can figure out what to do next.