BOSTON - A private funeral was held Tuesday for Martin Richard, who at 8 years old was the youngest victim of the Boston Marathon bombing, his family said.
A private funeral Mass was held with immediate family in the morning, followed by burial, according to a statement released on behalf of the family. No other details were provided.
The boy was laid to rest and that he is now at peace, the statement said.
"The outpouring of love and support over the last week has been tremendous," it said. "This has been the most difficult week of our lives and we appreciate that our friends and family have given us space to grieve and heal."
The family, from Boston's Dorchester neighborhood, said it would hold a public memorial service in the coming weeks to celebrate Martin's life.
The boy was among three people killed when two bombs exploded at the finish line of the Boston Marathon on April 15. His mother and sister were among the more than 260 others wounded.
Krystle Campbell, 29, of Medford, and Lu Lingzi, a 23-year-old Boston University graduate student from China, also died in the attack.
Massachusetts Institute of Technology police Officer Sean Collier was fatally shot three days after the bombing, allegedly by the suspects. His funeral was being held Tuesday.