Ford recalls 750,000 vehicles, including Escapes

NEW YORK - Ford recalled more than 750,000 Escapes and C-Max vehicles in North America Friday for two separate issues.

One is a software problem that delays the deployment of side airbags when the vehicle rolls over. That affects about 692,500 Ford Escapes from model years 2013 and 2014, as well as about 65,000 C-Max crossover vehicles from the same model years.

All of those Escapes, plus about another 60,000, are also being recalled for a second issue related to malfunctioning door handles.

The exterior door handles can get stuck in the open position, become tough to close, or open while driving. In that instance an indicator light will display on the dashboard and warning chimes will sound, said a Ford spokeswoman. No C-Max vehicles are recalled for the door issue.

Owners can take their vehicles to the dealer who will reprogram the software and inspect door handles, fixing them if necessary.

No accidents or injuries have been linked to either issue, the company said Friday.

There's been a number of recalls coming from automakers this year. Ford rival General Motors recalled 2.6 million vehicles for a faulty ignition switch. The issue has been tied to 13 deaths and has brought on a number of investigations and lawsuits for the company.

Some in the industry are concerned that the trouble facing GM is making other automakers overly cautious.

"I think you're going to see a heightened level of sensitivity across all automakers on this issue," said Fiat Chrysler CEO Sergio Marchionne earlier this week at a company conference.

Print this article Back to Top

Comments
Your Region News
West Valley Phoenix Metro Southeast Valley Northeast Valley Northern Arizona Central/Southern AZ