Whole grains are good sources of fiber. Better yet, nutrients found in whole grains help promote heart health.
To increase the amount of whole grains in your diet, make simple substitutions:
1. Choose breads made from 100 percent whole grain instead of those made from refined white flour.
2. Choose whole-wheat pasta over regular pasta.
3. Select brown rice instead of white rice.
4. Trade sugar-sweetened cereals for high-fiber cereals, such as bran flakes, oats or shredded wheat.
5. Bake with whole-wheat flour rather than white flour.
Need practical advice on diet and exercise? Want creative solutions for stress and other lifestyle issues? Try a daily dose of healthy lifestyle tips from MayoClinic.com .