MCSO on trial: A timeline of Valley mother's final days

Deborah Braillard was barely conscious by the time paramedics transported her to the Maricopa Medical Center.

At the time, she had not received any medication or medical care during three days in the Maricopa County Jail system. Even though, inmates and guards testify that Deborah was moaning in pain, crying out for help, vomiting repeatedly, defecating on herself and having multiple seizures during the course of several days.

The 46-year-old mother slipped into a diabetic coma from which she would never recover.

Here is a timeline of events before her death:

Jan. 1, 2005

11 p.m.

Deborah Braillard is arrested on minor drug possession charges by Phoenix police. She is transported to Maricopa County Fourth Avenue Jail.

Jan. 2, 2005

2:22 a.m.

Braillard is taken for a medical screening. Records show, it lasts 59 seconds. According to the County's former jail medical director, that is far too short to ask the dozens of questions listed on the medical intake questionnaire and give a full evaluation.

Braillard is a diabetic. However, medical records show that jail staff did not mark the condition on her intake form.

Jail staff also fails to check records from Deborah's previous stay at the jail, which indicate Braillard is diabetic and requires insulin. Both are serious mistakes, according to experts who have reviewed the case.

8 p.m.

Braillard is transported from the Fourth Avenue Jail to the Estrella Jail, a women's facility. She is housed in the K Dorm.

Jan. 3, 2005

Inmates testify that Braillard's condition is getting worse. She is not evaluated by medical staff.

Jan. 4, 2005

3:25 p.m.

A detention officer alerts medical staff that Braillard needs help. He reports she is sitting at a table and having trouble breathing, records show.

4:55 p.m.

A nurse visits K Dorm to distribute medication, records show. Braillard is not seen by the nurse.

8:30 p.m.

A friend of Braillard arrives at the jail to visit Braillard. After waiting, he is told that she is too sick to have visitors.

8:42 p.m.

Another friend of Braillard calls MCSO and notifies the jail that Braillard is a diabetic and needs insulin. Records show a second friend also calls the jail to alert staff about Braillard condition.

11 p.m.

Braillard vomits. At this time, inmates help clean her up and report to a detention officer to say that she needs help.

Jan. 5, 2005

2:45 a.m.

Detention officers order inmates to move Braillard to a separate room because she is moaning so loudly that it is keeping other inmates awake. She is left alone.

7 a .m .

Braillard's daughter, Jennifer, called the jail and reported that her mother needs insulin and is a diabetic.

8 a .m .

Inmates go into the room and check on Braillard. She is barely conscious and surveillance video shows Braillard falling face first into the floor when inmates try to help her up. The inmates then carry Braillard to her bed.

10 a .m .

Braillard is taken to see jail medical staff. Video shows her being taken away in a wheelchair and shows her head snap back. Medical records show Braillard's blood pressure is extremely low and her blood sugar levels are dangerously high.

10:25 a.m.

Jail staff call paramedics and Braillard is transported to the Maricopa Medical Center. Braillard slips into a diabetic coma. She remains shackled to her bed during her stay at hospital.

Jan. 23, 2005

Deborah Braillard dies. Her daughter decides to take her mother off of life support.

March 3, 2005

The Medical Examiners office releases Braillard's autopsy. The office concludes that she died from "complications of diabetes." Her autopsy reports she had no illegal drugs in her system.

Print this article Back to Top