PHOENIX - Hospital bills can be staggering. And they can be wrong.
An organization called Medical Billing Advocates of America says they've found overcharges and services billed, but never given.
So with every medical bill, experts say you need to take action.
- Demand an itemized statement .
- Review the statement line by line and look for any duplicate charges
- If you leave the hospital in the morning, don't allow a full-day charge.
- Don't get billed for medications you brought to the hospital.
- Fight a charge for an extra blanket or surgical gloves. Those should be included.
One Valley woman let me know about hospital charges she didn't expect.
She went in to have a baby.
But something unbelievable happened involving a needle.
It caused an operating room visit.
It wasn't her fault.
But she got a huge bill for it!
You can hire a medical billing advocate.
Medical Billing Advocates of America doesn't charge to look at your bill.
But they do ask for 25% of any error they find and money they get back for you.
You can also call 855-323-1515. The Assistance League of Phoenix volunteers will answer calls live every Wednesday and Friday from 11 a.m. to 1 p.m. You can leave a message anytime.