How do you correct errors on your credit report? The CFPB can help

PHOENIX - With the recent security breaches at large retail stores, it's more important than ever to check your credit reports for errors.

However, what do you do when you can't even pull your credit report?

Jacob Foy believes there are errors on his credit report.

"I've been denied by Discover. Got denied from Visa," he said. He can't even pull his credit report because his last name doesn't match the record the Bureau has on file.

"Unfortunately, it's lead me to near homelessness," he said.

The Consumer Financial Protection Bureau (CFPB) reports 10,000 consumer complaints about credit reports have been filed in the past 15 months.

Most of them involve the main three bureaus: Experian, Equifax, and Trans Union.   

Consumers who found errors in their credit reports make up 65 percent of the complaints.

And consumer advocates say it's a huge problem.

Rod Griffin, spokesman for Experian said eliminating errors is something the company is working to fix.

"We're working with the CFPB and we're not happy about high complaint numbers either," he said.

He said Experian is also working to make resolving complaints easier.

"We now upload and provide every document that a consumer sends us," said Griffin.

If you are finding it to be difficult to get your report corrected from the credit bureaus, the CFPB can help.

They will take your complaint, notify the credit reporting agencies and then give them a certain amount of time to respond.

"I finally got a personal phone call from Experian stating that they would send me a credit report," said Foy.

This is good news, Foy says, because he can now begin to take the steps necessary to correct any errors he finds.

If you haven't been able to get your credit bureau issue resolved you can file a complaint with the Consumer Financial Protection Bureau here.

You can request your free credit reports here.

Let me know about your consumer issues by emailing me at or by "Liking" my Let Joe Know Facebook Page and telling me about it there.

Print this article Back to Top