Bad neighbors? 4 ways to take action

GLENDALE - Keeping up a home can be a tough job. Particularly for the elderly and disabled.

Most every city has a code enforcement department where you can file complaints about neglected homes and yards.

But before you report your neighbor, try offering a hand first.

Maybe there is an injury or disability that has prevented them from staying on top of things.

Enlist the help of other neighbors to share the work.

Some municipalities have programs that pair volunteers with residents who need help bringing their property up to code.

Scottsdale's Operation Fix It is one of them. It uses an income based application process to determine eligibility. But anyone can refer an applicant. You can find out more about that here .

The City of Peoria has the Neighborhood Pride Program. It also has an application process, but targets neighborhoods that are increasing in code violations and show signs of deterioration. Up to four neighborhoods are chosen each year. Find out how to apply here .

Other cities offer tool lending programs and access to free bulk trash removal service:

City of Phoenix Tool Lending Program   602-495-0323

City of Mesa Clean Sweep/Green Sweep Program   480-644-4791

City of Glendale All the Right Tools 623-930-2868

City of Peoria Tool Lending Center 623-773-7667

If your attempt to help doesn't work, filing a formal complaint with the city or county is your next option.

Each city has different rules, but all of them strive for voluntary compliance. If that does not happen penalties range from fines to criminal charges, to liens.

If you need help or need to warn others about a consumer problem or scam, let me know at or by going to my  "Let Joe Know" Facebook page.



Print this article Back to Top

web fb twitter jd share Image Map