Working from home can be rewarding and challenging all at the same time. Especially when it comes to building relationships because there are a lot more immediate distractions and obstacles compared to the traditional office.
Lainika Johnson-Colbert of FEMnomincal Women in Business, a business development company, offers three tips to help you make the most of your time at home with your business and in your relationships.
1. Forming Relationships:
- Get out of the house and go to networking events. Networking Phoenix is a great place to start.
- If you meet someone that you want to connect with, put their number in your cell phone immediately. You may lose the card.
- Set up your next meeting on the spot.
2. Building Relationship
- Instead of telling them what you do, LISTEN and learn about them. People love to talk.
- Schedule time every week to follow up with people you have met. This will break up your day and help you feel connected to the world.
3. Maintaining Relationships
- Givers gain. Offer referrals freely. This will strengthen your business relationships and these same people can become friends.
- Be open to partnering. Most people you meet will not be your customer but they may be an ideal partner. Together you can offer more to your clients so look for opportunities to strengthen relationships through partnering on projects.
The Power of Relationships at the Greater Phoenix Black Chamber of Commerce's Leadership Summit will be held on June 17, 2011 at the Wyndam downtown.