A chili cook-off next week is benefiting the Chandler Fire Department.
It's the Oskar Blues Chili Cook-Off and Tap Take-Over next Tuesday at The Hungry Monk.
Here's a recipe for you to try at home!
Good JUJU, TEX MEX Red Chili
8 lbs Hops and Heifers Ground Chuck
3 yellow onions chopped ¼ inch
4 Green peppers chopped ¼ inch
2 cups Red Caribe sauce or enchilada sauce
¼ cup brown sugar
¼ cup cumin
½ cup dark chili powder
5 cloves minced garlic
4 jalapeno chopped
1 small can 8 oz. tomato puree
2 cans of OLD CHUB
2 ancho chilies
5 guajillo chilies
1 can chipotle chilies
¼ cup OLD CHUB CHIPOYLE SAUCE
1 can beef stock
½ cup olive oil
1. Soak anchos and guajillos in hot water for 2 hours
2. Puree anchos and guajillos with OLD CHUB beer
3. Consume 1 can of OLD CHUB while prepping
4. Heat a medium pot with oil and add beef and cook through until browned lightly
5. Add ½ of the spices and cook another 2 minutes
6. Add chopped vegetables and cook until translucent or about 10 minutes
7. Add all wet ingredients and turn to low and cook for about 3 hours
8. Add the rest of the dry spices and cook an additional 30 minutes adjusting salt and pepper to taste
10. Pile it up with tortillas, diced onion, sour cream and cheddar "loaded style"!!
Oskar Blues Chili Cook-Off and Tap Take-Over
Where: The Hungry Monk, 1760 W. Chandler Blvd, Chandler, AZ 85224
When: Tuesday, February 19 from 4-7 p.m.
Who: The Hungry Monk chef, Chandler Fire Department chef and four other competitors
Why: It's Arizona Beer Week and we're celebrating with a Chili Cook Off!
Collaboration: Oskar Blues Brewery launching their 10 year anniversary 19.2 oz Royal cans of Dale's Pale Ale in Arizona.
Oskar Blues Brewery has their own sustainable farm called, Hops and Heifers Farm. They're using beef shipped directly from their farm in the competition.
The winner gets a Bigger Bowl trophy and bragging rights!