Lucia Schnitzer from Luci's Healthy Marketplace shows us how to help the environment while we eat.
Here are the recipes from today's show:
Balls of Energy
1 small banana
1/2 cup chunky peanut butter
1/2 cup toasted wheat germ
Finely chopped peanuts, mini-chocolate chips, or shredded coconut for coating
1. In a medium bowl, mash together the banana and the peanut butter.
2. Stir in the wheat germ. Roll individual tablespoons of the mixture into balls, then roll
the balls into one, or a mix, of the coatings listed above. Chill until firm. Makes 14
3. Variation: For a peanut-free version, substitute sunflower-seed or soy-nut butter for the
peanut butter, and omit the peanuts and chocolate chips (which can contain traces of
2 cups (about 12 oz.) cooked and flaked salmon
2 - 3 Tbsp. minced green or red onion
2 Tbsp. minced parsley
1/2 tsp. salt
1/4 tsp. freshly ground black pepper
1/8 tsp. cayenne (optional)
1/3 - 1/2 cup panko or freshly toasted bread crumbs, plus more for coating, if you like
Avocado oil for cooking
1. In a medium bowl, combine the salmon, onion, parsley, salt, pepper, and cayenne. Mix
to combine. Move the mixture to the side of the bowl and crack the eggs into the now
sort of empty section of the bowl. Use a whisk or fork to beat the eggs. Now gently
combine the salmon mixture and the beaten eggs.
2. Stir in panko or bread crumbs. Breads crumbs vary *so* much that the amount is a bit
tricky. You want the mixture to hold together, but you don't want it to get too bread-y.
3. Spray your hands with cooking spray or oil them with olive or vegetable oil and form
the cakes. I make mine about 3 inches across and an inch thick. Place them on a
baking sheet, cover, and chill for a few hours for best results.
4. Dredge the cakes in flour or bread crumbs, if you like, but I find it's not necessary and
5. Heat a large frying pan over medium high heat, add some vegetable or olive oil for
cooking, and cook salmon cakes, a few at a time, until golden brown on one side,
about 4 minutes. Turn over and cook until golden brown on the other side and cooked
through, another 4 minutes. Repeat with remaining cakes. Serve hot.
Luci's Healthy Marketplace
1590 East Bethany Home Road, Phoenix, AZ 85014