Executive Pastry Chef Sarah Chisholm of Phoenix Public Market Cafe, shared her favorite pie recipe, along with tips and tricks to perfecting pie!
Here is the recipe from today's show:
CHOCOLATE BOURBON PECAN PIE
All Butter Pie Crust:
yield- 2 9" Pie Crusts
2 1/2 cups All Purpose Flour
1 tsp. Kosher Salt
2 T Granulated Sugar
8 oz (2 sticks or 1 cup) Unsalted Butter, cut into 1/2 inch pieces
1/4 cup Water, cold (plus more if needed)
1/4 cup Vodka, cold
1. In a food processor combine flour, salt, and sugar and pulse twice to combine.
2. Add the cubed, cold butter to the food processor and pulse until flour is hydrated and butter
is in pea sized chunks. *This can be done by had or with a pastry blender just be careful not
to over work the butter… pieces of butter=flaky crust!
3. Turn the butter and flour mixture into a bowl and add both vodka and cold water and knead
by hand just until the dough comes together. If the dough is dry and crumbly add cold water
a Tablespoon at a time until it holds its shape and can be formed into a ball easily. *You can
add water, but you can't take it out so go slowly.
4. Form dough into a flat disk and chill for a minimum of 1 hour or up to overnight
5. When you are ready to assemble your pie generously flour your work surface and roll into a
12 inch circle working from the center outward, rotating the dough clockwise as you go. This
will ensure a pretty even circle when your moving it to the pie plate.
6. Place your rolled dough into your pie plate and trim edges. You can score with a fork along
the edges, pinch the sides between your thumb and first fingers… get creative or keep it
7. Chill the crust until firm about 30 minutes (10 in the freezer) before adding your filings.
Chocolate Bourbon Pecan Filling:
yield- enough for 2 9" pies
4 cups Pecans, toasted
1 1/2 cups Brown Sugar (dark preferably)
1 1/3 cup Corn Syrup (honey, agave, or brown rice syrup are also good substitutes)
2 tsp Vanilla
1/4 cup Unsalted Butter, melted
6 T good quality Bourbon (if you wouldn't drink it I wouldn't cook with it)
1 tsp Kosher Salt
1 1/2 cups Bittersweet or Semisweet Chocolate Chips or Chunks
1. Toast pecans in a preheated 375F degree oven until fragrant but not burnt, about 10
minutes. (once you smell them you are good)
2. Whisk eggs, corn syrup, vanilla, melted butter, and bourbon together until smooth and
3. Arrange pecans and chocolate chunks or chips in your prepared and chilled pie crust and
pour egg and bourbon mixture on top until the pie is just full and bake at 375F for about 50
minutes to an hour.
4. Chill completely before slicing and serving
5. Serve with whipped cream or bourbon whipped cream.
1 cup Heavy Cream, cold
1/4 cup Powdered Sugar
1 tsp Vanilla
1/4 tsp Kosher Salt
1 Tablespoon high quality Bourbon (optional)
1. Combine all ingredients in a bowl and whisk until soft peaks form