5 tips to protect your pets from holiday hazards

PHOENIX - As the holiday spirit fills homes throughout the Valley, the Arizona Humane Society is urging pet owners to be cautious with pets that may come across many hazards they wouldn't normally be exposed to.

Holiday plants - Poinsettias, mistletoe, holly, and Christmas rose are poisonous and should be kept out of your pet's reach.

Holiday décor - Tinsel, ribbon, glass ornaments, gift wrap and other tree décor may entice mischievous puppies and kittens, but if ingested, these items could cause serious damage to the intestine and may have to be surgically removed. To avoid this, decorate the bottom third of your tree with non-breakable, plastic or wooden ornaments or only embellish what's out of reach. 

Bright, twinkling string lights – Watch your pets around lights as they could be in for a shocking surprise. Be sure holiday lights don't hang too low and remember to unplug the lights when you're not able to supervise your pets.  

Toxic tree water - Pine sap, mixed with water, makes a poisonous drink for pets, so keep the water stand covered with tin foil. 

Holiday feast – The high fat content in the traditional holiday meal may cause your pet to develop an upset stomach or worse, pancreatitis (inflammation of the pancreas). Chocolate is also very toxic so keep sweets on high table tops. NEVER give your pet alcoholic beverages.

The AHS says if your pet shows signs of persistent vomiting, loss of appetite, diarrhea and listlessness, seek medical help with your family veterinarian immediately.

Print this article Back to Top

Comments