Ever wondered how relative humidity affects how hot it really feels outside? Confused about what the dew point is? Learn all about these and other weather terms with our interactive ABC15.com Weather Calculators below.
Related weather definitions from ABC15:
• temperature – the amount of heat or cold measured on a thermometer.
What else can the Temperature, along with Dew Point, tell you?
Dew Point, along with Temperature, can tell you the estimated height of a cloud's base. How? When air rises in a convective current, it cools at the rate of 5.4° F/1,000 ft, and its dew point decreases 1° F/1,000 ft. Therefore, the temperature and dew point are converging at 4.4° F/1,000 ft. Since clouds form when the temperature/dew point spread is 0°, you can use that information to estimate the base of a cumulus cloud. Here's how it works: Subtract the surface dew point from the surface temperature to give you the temperature/dew point spread. Then divide that number by 4.4° F. Finally, multiply this result by 1,000 ft. This total will be your estimate of the cloud base's height above ground level (AGL). Try it using the Cloud Base Calculator below!
Click on these ABC15.com Weather Calculators:
• Barometric Pressure Conversions
• Cloud Base Calculator
• Density Altitude Calculator
• Dew Point Calculator
• Fahrenheit / Celsius Conversion
• Heat Index Calculator #1 (using Dew Point)
• Heat Index Calculator #2 (using Relative Humidity)
• Relative Humidity Calculator (using Temperature and Dew Point)
• Relative Humidity / Dew Point Calculator (using Dry Bulb-Wet Bulb Temperatures)
• Wind Chill Calculator
• Wind Velocity Conversions
Learn more weather terminology here.
Hot Content Right Now
Police have identified a body found in a Mesa dumpster last week as a 14-year-old girl.
Check out 100 of Maricopa County's mug shots of the week from December 9. All inmates …
Bob Filner was sentenced Monday to three months of home confinement and three years of …
Jodi Arias' sentencing phase retrial will remain in Phoenix after a judge denied a second…
Police are asking for the public’s help in locating a 12-year-old girl in Glendale.
More Hot Content