Before his abrupt U-turn in an interview this week with Oprah Winfrey, Lance Armstrong had, many times and in many forums, consistently denied that he used performance-enhancing drugs. Here is a sample of some of the cyclist's choicest comments on the subject before he finally admitted to doping:
1. "Luke's name is Armstrong and people know that name, and when he goes to school I don't want them to say, `Oh yeah, your dad's the big fake, the doper.' That would just kill me," -- in his second autobiography, "Every Second Counts," in 2003.
2. "I came out of a life-threatening disease. I was on my death bed. You think I'm going to come back into a sport and say, `OK, OK doctor, give me everything you've got, I just want to go fast?' No way! I would never do that," -- public forum, Aspen, Colo., 2007.
3. "How many times do I have to say it? ... Well, if it can't be any clearer than `I've never taken drugs,"' -- videotaped testimony in lawsuit, 2005.
4. "I'm sorry you don't believe in miracles," -- 2005 Tour de France victory speech, taking aim at "the cynics and the skeptics."
5. "There are no secrets. This is a hard sporting event and hard work wins it," -- same speech.
6. "Everybody wants to know: what am I on. What am I on? I'm on my bike, busting my ass six hours a day," -- commercial for Nike in 2001.
7. "We're sick and tired of these allegations and we're going to do everything we can to fight them. They're absolutely untrue" -- news conference, 2004.
8. "They say, `This is a new guy in the Tour. It can't be. He must be doped.' It's unfortunate," -- TV interview on the way to winning his first Tour, in 1999.
9. "You are not worth the chair that you're sitting on," -- at journalist and doping critic Paul Kimmage, at 2009 news conference.
10. "Do we make mistakes, all of us? Absolutely. As a society, are we supposed to forgive and forget and let people get back to their job? Absolutely," -- same news conference, arguing that dopers should get a second chance.
11. "At the end of the day, I have nothing to hide," -- Associated Press interview, 2009.
12. "I have never doped" -- on `Larry King Live,' 2005.
Copyright 2013 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.
Click on the region names in the map below to see news from that region.
Things To Do
INSIDE: Check out our top pick for weekend events around Arizona!
RIGHT NOW: Top Stories
The A-List appears on abc15.com the first Friday of every month. Each month we feature the Valley's Best in food and entertainment, voted solely by our ABC15 viewers on the ABC15 Arizona Facebook page.
About 3,000 people are expected to gather at Pearl Harbor on Saturday to commemorate the anniversary of the 1941 Japanese attack that launched the U.S. into World War II.
Dozens of entries with thousands of lights will brighten the streets of Phoenix on Saturday, Dec. 7!
In order to reach its first Rose Bowl in 17 years, the No. 11 Arizona State Sun Devils will fittingly have to go through the only team to defeat them in conference play this season.
We're tracking a quick moving storm system that will bring slight rain chances to the Valley and snow to the high country.
City officials recommend that people traveling to Tempe arrival early and use park-and-ride lots and take light rail.