PEORIA, AZ - Two people escaped injury when their home caught fire in the northwest Valley Friday morning.
The fire started in a chimney and spread to the attic at the home near 83rd Avenue and Happy Valley Road, according to a Peoria Fire Department official.
Officials said the male resident got out without a problem but his wife went back into the home to rescue her dogs, rabbit and turtle.
When Maricopa County Sheriff's deputies arrived, they went into the house to get her out.
Fire officials say the home did not have working smoke detectors.
No injuries were reported. There was no immediate word on the fate of the animals.
Check back with abc15.com for updates.
Copyright 2013 Scripps Media, Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.
Click on the region names in the map below to see news from that region.
Things To Do
We’ve turned a corner! The weather is warming up so it’s the perfect time to get outdoors and enjoy some fantastic weather.
RIGHT NOW: Top Stories
A Phoenix murder suspect is dead after leading authorities on a chase in Tucson Thursday night.
The spectacular annual Geminid meteor shower kicks into high gear Thursday night, NASA said, and people around the world will be able to enjoy it.
Free parenting classes helped one Valley mom, but programs like these are becoming fewer and fewer with Child Protective Services budget cuts.
The next storm system is moving through Arizona right now, bringing chances for rain and mountain snow.
Researchers say there may be a safer option for older women at high risk for breast cancer. And that's some promising news for many doctors and patients out there.
According to a national household survey of 70,000 people, identity theft resulted in $24.7 billion in financial losses last year.