TEMPE, AZ - A Tempe man could face charges, after an apparent sweat lodge was found inside his apartment.
Fire crews said they made the discovery while responding to a call near McClintock Drive and Apache Boulevard Tuesday.
Neighbors said they've been smelling smoke for days but didn't know what it was from.
On Tuesday they saw smoke coming from the man's apartment and knocked on his door to try and get him to come outside.
"He told my neighbor he would be fine," said neighbor Katie Rogers.
When firefighters arrived, the man refused to come out.
Fire crews believe the fire was started as part of a religious ceremony. They said the carbon monoxide levels were so high inside the apartment, the man could have died.
Copyright 2013 Scripps Media, Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.
Click on the region names in the map below to see news from that region.
Things To Do
We’ve turned a corner! The weather is warming up so it’s the perfect time to get outdoors and enjoy some fantastic weather.
RIGHT NOW: Top Stories
Authorities say they received no prior reports of abuse from family members of a 14-year-old Mesa girl who was assaulted, strangled and dumped in a trash container.
According to a national household survey of 70,000 people, identity theft resulted in $24.7 billion in financial losses last year.
A newlywed bride accused of deliberately pushing her husband to his death in Montana's Glacier National Park agreed Thursday to plead guilty to second-degree murder.
On Thursday, the federal Department of Transportation and three members of Congress took steps to block those calls.
The next storm system is moving through Arizona right now, bringing chances for Valley rain and mountain snow.
Deborah Verna is accused of stealing more than $100,000 from the victim, who was approximately $20,000 behind on payments to her care facility, police said.