TEMPE, AZ - Our Valley freeze made for a cold couple of days for employees at Tempe City Hall.
About five days ago they noticed something wasn't quite right with the heating system.
It took several days to pinpoint the problem, but workers found a busted pipe in a vault 15 feet underground.
They worked around the clock to fix it, but employees worked in 50 degree temperatures for two days.
Some employees got a little creative in the cold.
One man started a digital yule log fire on his computer monitor, hoping it might heat the place or at least their spirits.
Space heaters worked better and people wore parkas and gloves and wrapped themselves in blankets.
Workers turned the heat back on Wednesday and it took much of the morning to heat back into the 60's.
Meanwhile, a school in Gilbert had to deal with similar problems.
A part went out on a heating unit at Chaparral Elementary School on Monday and made it mighty chilly in several rooms.
Once workers fixed that, another unit quit on Tuesday.
In all, about five classrooms were cooled into the 50s and 50 kids did some shuffling around to other classrooms.
School officials said they also used space heaters to keep kids warm.
School officials said they did not alert parents because only a small number of kids were affected and they took care of the problem as quickly as they could.
Copyright 2013 Scripps Media, Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.
Click on the region names in the map below to see news from that region.
RIGHT NOW: Top Stories
The land, leased from ASU, will be home to the largest office development in Arizona history, with more the 2 million square feet to be constructed on more than 20 acres.
Firefighter Brad Harper is set to be laid to rest Friday evening at a Phoenix cemetery following a procession beginning in Peoria. Watch the procession LIVE on abc15.com and ABC15 Mobile beginning at 2:30pm.
Check out this plush Mesa property sold recently for $1,900,000!
Teen births in Arizona plummeted 35 percent between 2007 and 2011, tying with Utah for the steepest decline in the nation.
Four days after a deadly tornado tore through Moore, Oklahoma, one child and one adult remain hospitalized in critical condition.
Memorial Day weekend wouldn’t be the same without the backyard grill. The staple of backyard cooking isn’t just for meat either.