SAN TAN VALLEY, AZ - Three male high school students were hospitalized Tuesday morning after taking cold medicine while at school.
The incident happened at Poston Butte High School in San Tan Valley.
According to Colin Williams with Rural Metro, the students were experiencing side effects from taking the over-the counter medicine kids call "Triple C," "Red Devils," or "Skittles."
Officials say in addition to treating colds, the medicine is also used for high blood pressure and can do serious damage if you take too much.
School officials told ABC15 one of the students took nine pills.
The school called for help after that teen went to the nurse’s office. He wasn't feeling well, nauseous and throwing up.
The teen admitted to taking the pills and told school officials his two friends took them too. Medics checked them all out. The teens' hearts were racing so they were taken into the hospital.
Firefighters say they've seen this before and parents need to be aware of how dangerous this simple medication can be, especially to young bodies.
"Children are taking them now to hallucinate, they also cause seizures, tumors, even death," said Rural Metro Fire Captain Mark Cichocki.
The school district doesn't know if the three boys took the drugs before or at school. Officials say all three live in the same foster home.
There is a strict no drug policy on campus. Officials say the teens could face suspension or expulsion depending on if they're repeat offenders or where they popped the pills.
All three students are expected to make a full recovery.
Copyright 2013 Scripps Media, Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.
Click on the region names in the map below to see news from that region.
Things To Do
INSIDE: Check out our top pick for weekend events around Arizona!
RIGHT NOW: Top Stories
We are learning just how things transpired that may have led to the deaths of 19 Granite Mountain Hotshot firefighters in June.
Joshua Barnes will serve two concurrent 15-year sentences after a violent home invasion in Sun City, according to the Maricopa County Attorney's Office.
A Wendy's employee who dropped a partially smoked blunt in a customer's cheeseburger has been fired and charged with marijuana possession.
The 17-year-old Hopi High School senior took a hard fall during the fourth quarter of a Nov. 9 game and later died in a Phoenix hospital.
Freeze Warnings are in effect across the Valley. Time to protect your plants, pets and pipes.
In order to return to the Rose Bowl this season, Stanford must defeat No. 11 ASU on the road in Saturday’s Pac-12 Championship game.