MESA, AZ - Several fire agencies fought a first-alarm house fire early Wednesday morning in Mesa.
The fire broke out just after 5 a.m. at Guadalupe and Price roads.
According to Forrest Smith with Mesa fire, there was one person inside the home who was asleep at the time of the fire. A smoke detector woke him up and he was able to escape out a window in his bedroom. He was treated at the scene for smoke inhalation.
Smith said there was a lot of debris and items in the home from previous renters.
Officials bumped the blaze to a first-alarm fire because of the heavy debris and the potential to spread to surrounding homes, smith said.
Families in nearby homes were evacuated as a precaution.
Mesa, Chandler, and Tempe Fire Departments all responded to the fire.
A discarded cigarette or cigar is suspected to be the cause of the blaze.
Copyright 2013 Scripps Media, Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.
Click on the region names in the map below to see news from that region.
Things To Do
INSIDE: Check out our top pick for weekend events around Arizona!
RIGHT NOW: Top Stories
Sgt. Jason Cullum of the Evansville Police Department in Indiana was going about his day in his cruiser when he spied an object in the middle of the road.
The U.S. Naval Research Laboratory on Thursday announced it successfully launched a drone from a submerged submarine.
Five adults and one teenager are being treated at a Pachuca, Mexico, hospital for possible radiation poisoning, state news reported Friday.
Authorities searched a Tempe middle school Friday morning after receiving a report that a student had allegedly brought a gun to school, Tempe police said.
The nation's first full face transplant patients are growing into their new appearances -- literally.
Still very cold across much of the state; find out how long the frigid air will stick around and how long before our next rain and snow chances return.