APACHE JUNCTION, AZ - A HAZMAT situation at an Apache Junction recycling business forced residents to leave their homes Thursday afternoon.
Apache Junction Fire Department spokesman Dave Montgomery said fire and HAZMAT crews were successful in stopping a compressed gas cylinder from leaking at the business near Tomahawk Road and Old West Highway.
Montgomery said workers at the business broke the cylinder sending a large amount of hydrogen sulfide, an extremely flammable and toxic gas, into the air.
Nearby businesses and residences were evacuated until crews were able to stop the leak.
Crews were able to get a seal kit onto the cylinder to slow the leak down and eventually were able to stop the leak completely.
Montgomery said residents were able to return to their homes around 5 p.m.
Authorities said no injuries were reported.
Copyright 2012 Scripps Media, Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.
Click on the region names in the map below to see news from that region.
RIGHT NOW: Top Stories
A nearly 11-square-mile wildfire in Arizona's Prescott National Forest is continuing to grow as more than 500 firefighters were dispatched to battle the blaze.
As crews battle the rapidly growing Doce Fire near Prescott, there are ways you can help affected residents.
A bridge collapse has killed one person at a Loop 202 construction site in Mesa.
This is the latest information about the Doce Fire from the Prescott National and U.S. Forest Service.
Dry air and hot conditions continue but now we're adding gusty winds into the mix and that's making for another day of dangerous fire conditions.
The massive fire has sent thick plumes of smoke across northern Arizona.