PHOENIX - With rain and wind in the forecast, many folks in the Valley will turn on the heat for the first time this weekend.
But they might not realize heating equipment is a leading cause of home fires during the winter.
Phoenix fire Capt. Jonathan Jacobs, said it's important to check gas and electric heating equipment now, before temperatures drop, because it hasn't been used in a year and could be damaged.
Faulty wires can spark house fires, or gas leaks can cause carbon monoxide poisoning.
He said a dirty chimney or wood and coal stove could be dangerous if not cleaned and inspected yearly.
Jacobs said when it does get cold, never bring outdoor heaters inside.
He said folks who cannot afford to heat their homes often use camping stoves, patio heaters or grills instead.
But they release carbon monoxide , an odorless, colorless, deadly gas that he called a silent killer.
He said every home should have a carbon monoxide detector, along with a fire detector.
If a home has two levels, it needs a detector for each floor.
ABC15 talked to a Valley hardware store worker who said carbon monoxide detectors cost around $35-$40.
Copyright 2012 Scripps Media, Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.
Did You Hear?
Hampton Creek Foods is scouring the planet for plants that can replace chicken eggs in everything from cookies to omelets to French toast. Its first product is an egg-free mayonnaise now sold at Whole Foods Markets.
Chicago Bulls dancer Ariana Rosado was part of a marriage proposal routine that she wasn't prepared for -- her own.
A man traveling to visit his sister in California woke up to find himself locked inside a dark, empty plane.
More Central Phoenix News
Dozens of entries with hundreds of thousands of lights brightened the streets of Phoenix Saturday when the APS Fiesta of Light Electric Light Parade returned for the 27th straight year.