PHOENIX - Kids are mistaking brightly colored detergent pods for candy, and the mistake can be deadly.
The Center for Disease Control released some alarming statistics. In a 30-day period they received nearly 500 cases of detergent pod poisonings, that's more than 16 a day.
Just recently, Nadia Silva's 18-month-old daughter bit into a pod thinking it was something sweet to eat.
"It kind of exploded in her mouth and all down her face. She started screaming instantly. Within 10 minutes the vomiting occurred," said Silva.
Silva called 911 and they transferred her daughter to Banner Good Samaritan's Poison Center.
Doctors say these types of calls are on the rise.
"Since March, we've had about 62 kids ingest these pods, about half of them had to be admitted to a health care facility," said Dr. Frank LoVecchio, a toxicologist with Banner's Poison Control Center.
LoVecchio said the detergent pods are causing some serious injuries, and in some cases, death.
"These things can break in your mouth and cause a burn to your mouth which can lead to airway problems and breathing problems," said LoVecchio.
ABC News reported Proctor and Gamble started repackaging the detergent pods in a double latch lid, but also reported the company never recalled the old pull apart packages.
Those packages are still being sold, and it's that type of packaging Silva's daughter quickly figured out.
"She was able to pull it open very easily. All they need is their two front teeth on there and boom," said Silva.
Until changes are made, doctors say it is up to parents to keep the pods locked up and out of reach.
Copyright 2012 Scripps Media, Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.
Did You Hear?
Eating nutritional foods is one of the best ways to reduce obesity. But following a healthy diet isn't always easy, especially for lower socioeconomic groups.
Pantone, the company that considers itself the authority on colors in consumer trends, announced Thursday that the color of 2014 is .... radiant orchid!
A Wendy's employee who dropped a partially smoked blunt in a customer's cheeseburger has been fired and charged with marijuana possession.
More Central Phoenix News
A dedication ceremony on the anniversary of the 1941 attack on Pearl Harbor caps a nearly three-year effort to erect a World War II memorial near the Arizona State Capitol.