PHOENIX - Smoke detectors may have saved the lives of nine people after a fire broke out at a Phoenix home Friday morning.
Firefighters arrived to find flames shooting through the roof of the single family home near 51st Avenue and Thomas Road. All nine family members, including children, were able to get out safely.
The 911 call came in around 2:30 a.m. It took about a half an hour for firefighters to knock out the flames, a firefighter on scene said.
A fire investigator said the fire started in the attic. The cause is believed to be faulty wiring on an A/C unit that was perched on the roof, according to Phoenix Fire.
To get to the fire, crews had to knock out the ceiling and pull out the insulation.
A peek inside the home showed heavy damage. As the sun came up, light peeked through gaps in what was left of the roof.
The family walked through, despite being warned that the rest of the roof could collapse.
They didn't want to talk on camera but told ABC15 they rushed out quickly. They weren't able to grab anything. Photo albums, clothes, and furniture all appeared to be a total loss.
The owner's brother, who identified himself as Thomas, said he didn't know who worked on the electrical wiring on the home. His brother bought it that way, he said.
Fire officials say the incident should remind everyone to have working smoke detectors and to make sure all electrical work is done by a trusted professional.
Copyright 2012 Scripps Media, Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.
Did You Hear?
Jacqueline Simpson, 52, is suing the restaurant chain over a piece of glass she bit into while eating a chicken sandwich.
A man who was trying to protect his wife from a home run ball got a face full of beer for his effort.
Jim Heston, an American guesthouse operator in Cambodia, has lived a life in denim and has the photos to prove it. There were the dungarees he wore as a little boy, the dark bell-bottoms he had on for a hike up Japan's Mount Fuji, and the Levis straight-leg 501 jeans he's stayed with for the past 36 years.
More Central Phoenix News
A one-of-a-kind solar powered airplane left Sky Harbor airport Wednesday morning on a world record attempt.