SCOTTSDALE, AZ - The Scottsdale Fire Department handed out free alarms to spread the message after a 22-year-old woman died of accidental carbon monoxide poisoning.
Lindsey O’Brien Kesling died in her Scottsdale apartment in November 2010, a victim of the “silent killer.”
“Losing a child for any reason breaks a parent’s heart, but losing them to something that could have been prevented makes the loss so much heavier to bear,” said Lindsey’s mother, Dot Kesling.
Kesling founded the LOK Foundation to raise awareness about carbon monoxide poisoning and how to prevent it.
CO poisoning is hard to recognize because the symptoms mimic other illnesses and include nausea, headaches, dizziness, weakness, chest pain and vomiting, according to the Scottsdale Fire Department.
The City of Scottsdale requires carbon monoxide alarms in homes with attached garages or gas appliances.
"Nationally 90 percent of homes do not have these alarms. In most cases, the poisoning happens at home," Scottsdale Fire Marshall Jim Ford said.
The alarms were handed out Saturday morning at Fire Station 611.
To learn more about protecting your family form CO poisoning go to the Scottsdale Fire Department website .
Copyright 2013 Scripps Media, Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.
Click on the region names in the map below to see news from that region.
Things To Do
INSIDE: View our list of events happening this week around the Valley.
RIGHT NOW: Top Stories
A Valley couple has been charged with assault and disorderly conduct after arguing with McDonald's employees and throwing food at them.
Police say 12-year-old Sarina Ehler has been found safe and sound after going missing Monday morning.
The most recent rumblings of yet another security breach for over 2 million accounts from sites like Facebook, Yahoo, Google, Twitter and LinkedIn are true and should serve as another wake up call for all of us.
Most of the Valley will freeze again tonight, but a nice warm-up is coming soon!
Meko had wandered off from the family's tent at a campground in Parker on the Fourth of July weekend in 2012, apparently taken by a man who also was in the campground.
Police have identified a body found in a Mesa dumpster last week as a 14-year-old girl.