Zachary Reyna, a 12-year-old Florida boy stricken with a brain-eating parasite, has died, according to a post Saturday on a Facebook page that's been providing detailed updates from the boy's family.
The post indicated that the LaBelle child died Saturday afternoon.
"The battle is over for Zac but he won the war," the post concluded.
Doctors had given Zachary an experimental drug to treat the rare amoeba, called Naegleria fowleri, that he had. This same drug was used to treat 12-year-old Kali Hardig recently in Arkansas, after which she became only the third person in the last 50 years known to survive the deadly parasite.
Zachary's family told CNN affiliate WBBH-TV that the boy -- who they described as an active seventh-grader -- was kneeboarding with friends in a water-filled ditch by his house on August 3. He slept the entire next day, then his mother took him to a hospital.
There, the boy underwent brain surgery, and doctors diagnosed him with primary amoebic meningoencephalitis, according to WBBH.
After news emerged regarding Zachary's diagnosis, the Florida Department of Health issued a warning to swimmers that high water temperatures and low water levels provide the perfect breeding ground for this rare amoeba.
Between 2001 and 2010, there were only 32 reported cases of people getting Naegleria fowleri in the United States, according to the CDC. Most of the cases have been in the Southeast.
Naegleria fowleri is found in hot springs and warm freshwater, most often in the Southeastern United States. The amoeba enters the body through the nose and travels to the brain. There is no danger of infection from drinking contaminated water, the CDC said.
"This infection is one of the most severe infections that we know of," Dr. Dirk Haselow of the Arkansas Department of Health told CNN affiliate WMC about Kali's case. "Ninety-nine percent of people who get it die."
The first symptoms of primary amoebic meningoencephalitis appear one to seven days after infection, including headache, fever, nausea, vomiting and a stiff neck, according to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.
"Later symptoms include confusion, lack of attention to people and surroundings, loss of balance, seizures and hallucinations," the agency website says. "After the start of symptoms, the disease progresses rapidly and usually causes death within one to 12 days."
Copyright 2013 Scripps Media, Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.
Click on the region names in the map below to see news from that region.
Things To Do
We’ve turned a corner! The weather is warming up so it’s the perfect time to get outdoors and enjoy some fantastic weather.
RIGHT NOW: Top Stories
Low pressure is moving in. Find out when it could bring rain back to the Valley.
By the time he arrived home Tuesday night, Mesa Police Chief Frank Milstead had already been on the job for 14 hours. Hours earlier, he had finally delivered the news many in the community had been hoping for: a child killer had been caught.
It's really that simple. All you have to do is download the new ABC15 Mobile app!
Phoenix Suns broadcaster Tom Chambers has apologized to the NBA team and its fans after being arrested on suspicion of DUI.
A state lawmaker has promised to introduce a bill next legislative session that would require a full performance and financial audit of the Arizona State Hospital, known as ASH.
For the first time we're hearing from a woman who says her husband tried to have her killed, twice. Fred Knalder just took a plea deal and Libby Knadler says she fears for her life.