The Obama administration on Wednesday declassified opinions from a secret court that oversees government surveillance showing the National Security Agency was broadly collecting domestic Internet communications of Americans and misrepresenting the scope of that effort to the court.
The three opinions include one from October 2011 by U.S. District Judge John Bates, who scolded government lawyers that the NSA had, for the third time in less than three years, belatedly acknowledged it was collecting more data than it was legally allowed to.
The focus of the opinion was the government's admission that for three years, under its authority to monitor foreign communications, it had been collecting information beyond what it gets from Internet service providers, and included data that was entirely domestic.
The NSA said the collection was a mistake that went beyond its authority under Section 702 of the Patriot Act.
"This was a situation where there was technological problem that could not be avoided, rather than any overreach" by the NSA, according to a senior intelligence official who spoke with reporters about the matter.
The other Foreign Intelligence Surveillance Court opinions from November 2011 and September 2012 deal with NSA steps to fix errors it made in over-collecting data and to purge data it shouldn't have collected.
The issue, the intelligence official said, was immediately raised with the court.
"It was examined and probed deeply. it was remedied and the court determined the program could continue," according to the official, who did not speak for full attribution.
"This was not a case of an egregious violation by an overeager agency spying on Americans," the official said.
The administration also released documents provided to Congress to persuade lawmakers to reauthorize its surveillance authorities.
The agency has come under pressure from lawmakers of both parties over the sweeping nature of its secret data collection, most recently surveillance that captures telephone metadata related to communications to and from the United States.
That program and the one addressed in the document release on Wednesday were brought to public light through leaks to media outlets by former NSA contractor Edward Snowden, who fled the United States and is now in Russia under temporary asylum.
Their exposure also has generated concern from privacy groups and libertarians.
In 2008, the NSA began collecting what it called "upstream" communications, essentially information that travels across the Internet, separate from the what it receives from Internet service providers that filter data to respond to agency requests.
The NSA is supposed to be targeting foreign communications, such as e-mail addresses it believes relate to foreign intelligence, that have to do with potential terrorism investigations.
The NSA said it made mistakes because of the way data was collected. It couldn't separate information that was entirely domestic.
Government lawyers won approval from the court after making changes and later deleted years of data because some of it couldn't be separated from domestic communications.
Copyright 2013 Scripps Media, Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.
Click on the region names in the map below to see news from that region.
Things To Do
INSIDE: Check out our top pick for weekend events around Arizona!
RIGHT NOW: Top Stories
A 42-year-old man is dead after, police say, he pulled out a hatchet and a knife on officers forcing them to shoot him Friday evening.
About 2,800 of the 10,650 permits still are available for the Apache Sitgreaves, Kaibab and Tonto national forests.
The Devils will square off against Stanford, the defending Rose Bowl champion, which won the regular season meeting 42-28 after racing out to a 29-0 halftime lead.
In order to reach its first Rose Bowl in 17 years, the No. 11 Arizona State Sun Devils will fittingly have to go through the only team to defeat them in conference play this season.
Dozens of entries with thousands of lights will brighten the streets of Phoenix on Saturday, Dec. 7!
Several people, including military veterans, attended the dedication ceremony for a World War II memorial at Wesley Bolin Plaza Saturday morning in Phoenix.