Searches for missing children continue off Utoya Island following Friday's twin extremist attacks, on July 24, 2011 in Utoya, Norway.
Photographer: Jeff J. Mitchell
Copyright Getty Images
The man who carried out last year's massacre in Norway that left 77 people dead says his only apology is to other "militant nationalists" -- saying he's sorry he "wasn't able to execute more."
His defiant statement marked the end of a legal process that has haunted Norway for 13 months.
Anders Behring Breivik today was declared sane enough to be held criminally responsible. He was sentenced to "preventive detention," meaning it's unlikely he will ever be released.
Breivik said he won't be appealing the verdict -- but that he can't accept it, either, because he doesn't recognize the authority of the court. His lawyers had said earlier that he wouldn't appeal any verdict that found him sane.
Prosecutors also say they won't appeal today's ruling, even though they had argued Breivik was insane as he plotted the bombing and shooting attack. Most of the victims were teens at a youth camp.
Survivors of the attack and relatives of the victims are welcoming the ruling. One survivor said he believes Breivik is mad, but that it's "political madness and not psychiatric madness."
Some far-right leaders say the verdict gives some "credibility" to Breivik's views that Muslim immigration was destroying European society.
Copyright 2012 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.
Did You Hear?
A former intern filed a class-action lawsuit Monday against Warner Music Group and Atlantic Records over his unpaid internship, similar to a spate of recent lawsuits in other industries pushing back against the widespread practice.