Officials believe hantavirus could be to blame after a woman cleaning a Texas home to be featured on TV’s “Hoarding: Buried Alive” developed a respiratory illness, according to a Sunday report.
ABC News said hantavirus is carried by rodents and victims of the disease have ingested particles of urine or mice droppings.
Sweeping, vacuuming, and cleaning can reportedly bring hantavirus into the air.
The Learning Channel show looks at the psychology behind hoarding and uses experts and organizers to help those struggling with the urge to collect large quantities of things, according to the show’s website .
Up to 30 people, including the film and cleanup crews, have been in and out of the home in the past couple of weeks, according to the article.
See below to watch video
The home has been quarantined and a second test on the woman will confirm whether she does have hantavirus.
The disease claimed the lives of a couple Yosemite National Park visitors in recent months and about 1,700 people who visited the park over the summer have been urged to get medical help if they have symptoms of hantavirus. Read more .
Copyright 2012 Scripps Media, Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.
Did You Hear?
The puppy was dropped off at an animal shelter without its mother when he was just one-day old. Luckily, Lurlene and her litter welcomed him with no hesitation.
The zoo in Novosibirsk in Russia is home to a unique animal -- the liliger. Only three of them exist at this zoo.
Built in 1942, the Mountain View Black Officers' Club still stands today in Fort Huachuca but faces demolition by the U.S. Army.