DENVER, CO - A suburban Denver man who was diagnosed with "popcorn lung," possibly from inhaling the artificial butter smell of the microwave popcorn he regularly ate, has won a $7.2 million verdict against various food companies.
Wayne Watson's attorney, Ken McClain, said a federal jury granted the award Wednesday against Gilster-Mary Lee Corp., The Kroger Co. and Dillon Companies Inc. after he developed respiratory problems in 2007.
Watson previously settled claims against the flavor developer FONA International Inc., formerly Flavors of North America Inc.
Watson argued the companies failed to warn consumers that inhaling the buttery aroma could put them at risk of lung injury.
KCNC-TV in Denver reports defense attorneys had argued Watson's health problems stemmed not from popcorn but from his years of working with carpet-cleaning chemicals.
Copyright 2012 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.
Did You Hear?
YouTube created a video paying homage to its biggest hits of 2013.
When a single mom was assaulted inside her Michigan home earlier this week, she began preaching the Bible to her attacker and telling him, "God loves you, you don't want to do this."
Canadian airline WestJet surprised passengers with gifts from their Christmas wish list at the end of their flight.
In the final moments of her life, Hawaii Health Director Loretta Fuddy clung to the hand of her deputy after a small plane taking them back to Honolulu crashed in the ocean off the island of Molokai.