WASHINGTON, DC - As the U.S. edges toward a possible punitive military strike against Syria, residents of Damascus are stocking up on food and other necessities with no evident sign of panic.
President Barack Obama said on Friday he's weighing "limited and narrow" action, accusing Bashar Assad's government of launching a chemical weapons attack that killed at least 1,429 people -- far more than previous estimates -- including more than 400 children.
U.N. chemical weapons experts have left Syria and crossed into neighboring Lebanon.
An Associated Press crew saw the U.N. personnel cross into Lebanon from Syria through the country's Masnaa border crossing early Saturday.
The team on Friday carried out a fourth and final day of inspection as they sought to determine precisely what happened in the Aug. 21 alleged chemical weapons attack near Damascus.
The team took samples from victims for examination in laboratories in Europe.
The White House will brief Republican senators in a conference call Saturday at the request of Senate GOP leader Mitch McConnell.
The Syrian government says the administration claims are "flagrant lies" akin to faulty Bush administration assertions before the Iraq invasion that Saddam Hussein had weapons of mass destruction. A Foreign Ministry statement read on state TV said that "under the pretext of protecting the Syrian people, they are making a case for an aggression that will kill hundreds of innocent Syrian civilians."
One resident of Damascus says he's "not afraid from the Western threats to Syria." He says "they created the chemical issue as a pretext for intervention, and they are trying to hit Syria for the sake of Israel."
Obama said he has not yet made a final decision on a response to the suspected chemical attack. But he said it would not involve "boots on the ground."
Copyright 2013 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.
Click on the region names in the map below to see news from that region.
Things To Do
INSIDE: View our list of events happening this week around the Valley.
RIGHT NOW: Top Stories
Police have identified a body found in a Mesa dumpster last week as a 14-year-old girl.
Check out 100 of Maricopa County's mug shots of the week from December 9. All inmates are innocent until proven guilty.
Jodi Arias' sentencing phase retrial will remain in Phoenix after a judge denied a second motion from defense attorneys to move the case because of intense publicity.
A gunman has surrendered after a barricade situation at Phoenix Baptist Hospital Monday morning.
A former assistant Tempe High School band instructor accused of having a sexual relationship with a female student has been sentenced to 10 years of probation.
Freeze watches and warnings will kick off our week as we're expecting a few frigid mornings. Find out when we'll finally break out of this cold snap.