Members of the Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI) search for clues near the scene of twin bombings at the Boston Marathon on April 17, 2013 in Boston, Massachusetts.
Photographer: Getty Images
Copyright Getty Images
Two Massachusetts residents have sued the New York Post, saying the newspaper falsely portrayed them as suspects in the Boston Marathon bombings.
The lawsuit filed Wednesday in Boston says photographs and articles published three days after the bombings made it appear the FBI was pursuing 16-year-old Salaheddin Barhoum and 24-year-old Yassine Zaimi.
The two were featured on the front page under the headline "Bag Men," before law enforcement officials publicly identified two brothers as suspects.
The lawsuit accuses the newspaper of libel, negligent infliction of emotional distress and privacy invasion. It seeks unspecified monetary damages and alleges the Post subjected them to "scorn, hatred, ridicule, or contempt."
A spokeswoman for the Post on Thursday referred questions about the lawsuit to comments made by the newspaper's editor in April, when he said the publication didn't identify Barhoum and Zaimi as suspects and that it stood by the story.
The plaintiffs say they saw photos of themselves circulating on the Internet in connection with the bombing and both voluntarily went to police departments near their homes to answer any questions from authorities.
Investigators told them early in the morning on April 18 that they weren't considered suspects, according to the lawsuit. That day, the Post hit the streets with them on the cover.
The lawsuit says that Barhoum didn't know about the story until arriving home from a high school track meet later that day, when a reporter showed him the newspaper's front page and he "became terrified, began to shake and sweat, and felt dizzy and nauseous."
The suit claims strangers began to recognize Barhoum and Zaimi because of the Post story.
Barhoum previously told The Associated Press that he is convinced some people will always blame him for the bombings.
Copyright 2013 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.
Click on the region names in the map below to see news from that region.
Things To Do
INSIDE: View our list of events happening this week around the Valley.
RIGHT NOW: Top Stories
Police have identified a body found in a Mesa dumpster last week as a 14-year-old girl.
Check out 100 of Maricopa County's mug shots of the week from December 9. All inmates are innocent until proven guilty.
Bob Filner was sentenced Monday to three months of home confinement and three years of probation for harassing women while he was mayor of San Diego.
Jodi Arias' sentencing phase retrial will remain in Phoenix after a judge denied a second motion from defense attorneys to move the case because of intense publicity.
Police are asking for the public’s help in locating a 12-year-old girl in Glendale.
A former assistant Tempe High School band instructor accused of having a sexual relationship with a female student has been sentenced to 10 years of probation.