PEMBROKE PINES, FL - A South Florida high school senior is lucky to have her vision after a parasite grew on her contact lens and ate through her eye, according to Local 10 news .
According to Local10.com , Ashley Hyde, 18, contracted an acanthamoeba infection in her left eye after not changing her lenses regularly.
Hyde, a Pembroke Pines resident, initially left doctors stumped as to what was causing her blurred vision and inflammation.
"Every day, we see people come in with contact lens related to infections, complications, ulcers," Dr. Adam Clarin, an optometric physician told Local 10 . "There are all things that are potentially blinding."
According to the New York Daily News, doctors drilled into Hyde's eye and took scrapings from the eyeball. They soon discovered a microscopic parasite - found in water and soil - had latched onto and spread across the lens, the Daily News reports .
Copyright 2013 Scripps Media, Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.
Things To Do
INSIDE: Check out our top pick for weekend events around Arizona!
Did You Hear?
Pantone, the company that considers itself the authority on colors in consumer trends, announced Thursday that the color of 2014 is .... radiant orchid!
A Wendy's employee who dropped a partially smoked blunt in a customer's cheeseburger has been fired and charged with marijuana possession.
The 11-year-old dancing sensation who first made a name for himself at the Detroit Pistons game, appeared on Jimmy Kimmel LIVE Tuesday night!