A gas station in north Scottsdale is serving up gourmet food as well as fresh, local produce!
Tom's Thumb Fresh Market is a gourmet gas station near Bell Road and 94th Street.
In addition to gas and car washes, guests can enjoy a fresh market with local produce, a coffee bar, and a dine-in BBQ Bistro.
Here are some recipes from Friday's show:
SOUTH TEXAS TORTILLA SOUP
By Tudie Frank-Johnson
Green Bell Pepper 2 ea
Onion, diced 1 lg
Poblano chiles, diced 4 ea
Garlic, fresh, minced 3 ea
Olive oil 2 Tbsp
Cumin, ground 1 Tbsp
Black pepper 1 ½ tsp
Oregano leaves 1 ½ tsp
New Mex. Red chile 1 Tbsp
Tomatoes, diced 3 14 oz cans, do not drain
Tomatoes, pureed 1 14 oz can
Thick Corn tortillas 12 ea, cut or tear into strips
Strong chicken stock 1 gal
Cilantro ½ bunch, washed and chopped fine
Cholula hot sauce ¼ cup
Cotija cheese or shredded cheese
Crisp tortilla chips
Optional: for a heartier soup, add 2 lbs cooked chicken chunks or mixed seafood.
1. In large kettle, heat oil and add peppers, onions, poblanos, and garlic and cook 2-3 minutes or until onions begin to look clear.
2. Tear corn tortillas into thin strips and add to vegetables. Stir to soften and add spices, mixing in well.
3. Add stock and tomatoes and bring to a boil.
4. Simmer for 20 minutes, stirring often to avoid scorching.
5. Taste and adjust seasonings if necessary. Stir in cilantro and Cholula.
6. Add optional seafood or chicken at this point, heat through and serve.
7. Garnish with crisp tortilla chips and cheese.
PEACH OR APPLE COBBLER
By Tudie Frank-Johnson
Serves: 6 or more
Peach or Apple slices, IQF 3 lbs , do not thaw
Yellow Cake Mix 4 cups, about 2 boxes
Unsalted butter, melted 1 cup (2 sticks)
Cinnamon ½ tsp
1. Preheat your oven to 350 degrees.
2. Spread out fruit into an even layer in an 8 x 8 baking dish.
3. Sprinkle with cake mix, leaving some hills and valleys.
4. Drizzle the melted butter evenly over the cake mix.
5. Sprinkle with cinnamon.
6. Bake for 40-50 minutes or until the top is evenly golden and the fruit is bubbling through the crust.
7. Let rest for 20 minutes before eating.
8. So simple, so delicious.
Cajun Beer Dinner
Date: January 31, 2013
Time: 5:30 pm - 7:00 pm
Let the good times roll! Chef Tudie has partnered with Abita Beers to celebrate Mardis Gras with a Cajun Beer Dinner. The four course meal pairs gumbo, crab cakes, brisket with red beans and rice, and bread pudding with Louisiana's Abita Brewery. Cost is $36 per person, plus tax + tip.
Tom's Thumb Fresh Market
9393 E. Bell Road
Scottsdale, Arizona 85255
Copyright 2013 Scripps Media, Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.
More Sonoran Living
Distrito shows off some of its delicious offerings for Arizona Restaurant Week!