Thirsty Lion Pub and Grill in Tempe prepares some healthy dishes on Sonoran Living Live.
Pomegranate Spinach & Pancetta Salad
2 ½ cups spinach Leaves
½ cup radicchio leaves
1 ½ pomegranate vinaigrette
1 ounce candied spiced pecans
½ ounce pomegranate seeds
½ ounce pancetta (cooked crisp and chopped)
1 ounce Macadamia Nut Crusted goat cheese
Oil for pan
1. Prior to mixing salad, place oil on heated grill. Place macadamia nut breaded goat cheese on
2. Cook until golden brown, turn over and repeat. Remove from grill once brown. Send over to
3. Place spinach, pecans and radicchio leaves in a mixing bowl.
4. Add dressing and toss until leaves are well coated.
5. Arrange salad on a 9" plate with a high mound in the center.
6. Randomly scatter cooked pancetta and pomegranate seeds over the salad.
7. Top with a warm macadamia nut crusted goat cheese in the center of the salad.
Macadamia Nut Crusted Mahi Mahi
6 ounce mahi mahi
Macadamia Nut Breading
Oil for pan
8 ounces steamed rice
1 ½ ounce beurre blanc
4 ounce Asian Vegetables
½ ounce passion fruit puree
½ ounce caravelle Thai Sweet Chili sauce
Garnish with fresh onion curls
1. Dredge mahi filet in seasoned fish flour, dip into egg wash and coat with macadamia nut breading
on both sides. Note: press breading on to ensure adherence.
2. Pour oil onto heated flattop, place mahi (presentation side down) into oil. Cover with a lid and
cook until golden brown. Turn over and repeat procedure.
3. Place formed rice portion on the center of an 11" plate.
4. Place sautéed Asian veg on plate behind rice at 12 o'clock.
5. Pour buerre blanc around the front of the rice in a semi‐circle. Using a squirt bottle, "draw"
design lines of passion fruit into the buerre blanc.
6. Place "dots" of Thai chili sauce around the front of the sauce.
7. Place finished cooked mahi on plate atop rice.
16 egg yolks
1 ½ cup sugar
1/8 tsp salt
2 quart heavy cream
1 vanilla bean
11 Tablespoons sugar for topping
1. Separate egg yolks, discard whites.
2. Combine egg yolks, salt and half of the sugar in a mixing bowl. Mix together being careful not to frow using rubber spatula.
3. Combine heavy cream, remaining sugar and vanilla bean in a heavy sauce pan. The vanilla bean must be sliced in half, lengthwise, and the seeds scraped into the cream mixture.
4. Heat heavy cream mixture until it begins to simmer. Do not boil. Remove from heat. Slowly drizzle a small amount of the hot cream mixture into the egg mixture while stirring with a whip. Once half of the hot cream has been incorporated, combine both mixtures together.
5. Ladle 7 ounces of mixture into each baking dish. Stir mixture constantly to keep vanilla seeds evenly
distributed while filling dishes.
6. Place into 2" hotel pans with warm water 1/2 of the way up the sides. Cover with foil. Do not slosh
water into the dishes. It will water down the custard.
7. Bake at 280° for 40 minutes.
8. Top with remaining sugar and place dish under broiler until sugar melts, about 2 minutes. Watch carefully so as not to burn.
Thirsty Lion is hosting a perfect Valentine's Day dinner February 14-16. Featuring entrée specials including Rock Salt Crusted Prime Rib, Crab Stuffed Atlantic Salmon, Grilled Sirloin and Scampi Prawns and Oven Roasted Lamb Shank. You'll be sure to impress your date with an upscale dinner without the upscale price.
Reservations encouraged by calling 480-968-2920.
Thirsty Lion Pub and Grill at Tempe Marketplace
Copyright 2013 Scripps Media, Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.