Tonto Grill demonstrates dishes to preview their fall menu.
Tortilla Crusted Lump Crab Cakes
2 lb. Lump Crab
¼ c. Red Onion (small dice)
¼ c. Red Peppers (small dice)
¼ c. Poblano Peppers (small dice)
3 Tb. garlic (minced)
¼ c. Cilantro (chopped)
2 Tb. lime juice
2 Tb. old bay seasoning
2 Tb. Dijon mustard
1 c. Corn Tortilla Chips, crushed
¾ c. mayonnaise
Salt and pepper to taste
- Saute peppers, onion, and garlic. Cool down. Squeeze water out of crab meat. Mix all ingredients together in bowl. Portion out crab cakes and crust both sides of crab cake with crushed tortilla strips.
- Sear Crab Cakes on both sides in a sauté pan with oil until golden brown.
*Yields 12 individual cakes
1 ½ cups Un-Salted Butter
¼ cup plus 2 tablespoons of Cocoa Powder
1 ½ cups Water
¾ cup Buttermilk
1 teaspoon plus 1/8 teaspoon Baking Soda
3 Cups A.P. Flour
3 Cups Granulated Sugar
1. Pre-heat oven to 350 F. Combine the butter, cocoa powder, water and buttermilk in a thick bottom pot on medium heat. Stir the mixture frequently and cook just till butter is melted. Remove from the stove and set aside to cool down.
2. In a large bowl combine the A.P. Flour, sugar and baking soda. In a separate container place the eggs and beat slightly to break up the yolks.
3. Set-up the soufflé dishes on a sheet pan with space in between so the cakes can cook evenly. Butter the dishes and coat with sugar.
4. Pour the warm mixture into the dry ingredients and with a hand held mixer combine well. Half way through add the eggs and scrap the sides well with a spatula. There should be no lumps in the cake batter.
5. Pour the cake batter into the cups, only ¾ full and place in the oven. Do not place cakes on the top rack of the oven, they will burn easily.
6. Bake @ 350 F for 20 minutes, rotate and bake for 10-15 minutes more or until toothpick inserted in the middle comes out clean.
Celebrate Arizona Restaurant Week September 21 to 29. Check out www.arizonarestaurantweek.com .
Tonto Grill at Rancho Manana
5736 E Rancho Manana Boulevard
Copyright 2013 Scripps Media, Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.