Want to change things up? Try this creative salad recipe from the Salty Sow in Phoenix.
BRUSSELS SPROUT CAESAR SALAD
Chef Partner: Harold Marmulstein
1 ea. head of romaine lettuce hearts
1 cup Brussels sprouts, slice @1/4" thick
2-4 oz. Caesar dressing
1/8 cup candied almonds
1/8 cup dries cranberries
1/8 cup grated parmesan reggiano
some parmesan to slice over the top
4 oz. garlic cloves
1 1/2 oz. anchovy filets
1 oz. dijon mustard
4 oz. lemon juice, fresh
.5 oz. kosher salt
.5 oz. sugar
.5 oz. cracked black pepper
8 oz. olive oil
4 oz. extra virgin olive oil
1) split romaine in half, wash well and drain, slice romaine across the leaves into 1/4" julienne
2) blanch brussels sprouts in boiling salted water for 45 seconds, shock in ice water, drain well
3) in a large bowl mix romaine, brussels sprouts, nuts, cranberries, grated cheese and dressing, toss well, season with salt and cracked pepper( add more dressing if desired)
4) portion salads into chilled bowls and top with shaved parmesan.
Makes 2-4 salads
1) place garlic, anchovies and 1/3 of the olive oil in a food processor or blender and puree
2) in a bowl add the garlic puree and all the rest of the ingredients except the oil and blend well
3) slowly whisk in the rest of the oil till all in, check seasoning
Makes about 1qt.
(For candied almonds)
1) coat sliced raw almonds with an egg whites and 2 Tablespoons of sugar, mix well, place on a non-stick baking pan and cook in a 300 degree oven for 20 minutes, stirring the nuts every 8 minutes or so or until dry and crunchy
4801 East Cactus Road
Phoenix, Arizona 85254
Copyright 2013 Scripps Media, Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.