Summer in the Valley is all about light and fresh flavors to help keep you cool, and Top of the Rock Restaurant at the Buttes is using those flavors as the inspiration for a very special menu.
During the month of August, the restaurant will be donating a portion of the proceeds of the following 3-course meal to the Special Olympics.
So, stop in say hello to Executive Chef Gregory Wiener and the rest of the staff while you enjoy a night out, and the peace of mind in knowing you are giving back.
Crooked Farms Melon and Mexican Prawn Salad
4 pieces Cantaloupe-diced, melon balled, ribbon and segment or cut in your desired shapes
4 pieces Honeydew
6 pieces Mexican Prawns or Shrimp
To Garnish Pepper Feta Crumbles or Feta Cheese
1 oz. Meyer Lemon Oil
1/2 each Lemons, juiced
5 - 7 leaves Pursalane or your choice of greens
To taste Salt and White Pepper
1. Begin by cutting all required melon pieces. A diced piece, melon balled, ribbon and a segment for both melons. Set aside and keep chilled.
2. For the shrimp, remove tail and place into boiling court bouillon. Let cook for 1 minute and remove from heat. Let cook in Court Bouillon for approximately 3-4 minutes. Remove and chill.
3. To begin making salad, toss melons and shrimp in mixing bowl with Meyer lemon oil and toss to coat evenly.
4. Lay out ingredients on a plate. Sprinkle cheese crumbles. Dress Pursalane in oil and sprinkle with salt and white pepper. Place on top of the salad and serve.
Roger's Farm Pressed Chicken
For Brine (1/2 Gallon)
1/4 cup Brown Sugar
1 oz. Salt
1/2 gallon Water
5 each Peppercorns
2 each Bay Leaves
1 each Star Anise
1 tsp Red Pepper Flakes
1 each Cinnamon Stick
2 each Garlic Cloves
5 each 5 - 6 oz. chicken breasts - butterflied
1/2 cup Olive Oil
1/4 cup Orange Juice
1 Tbsp Chili Flakes
1 Tbsp Thyme-Minced
1 Tbsp Coriander
1. Begin by putting all of the ingredients for the brine into a soup pot. Let boil and then remove from heat. Let cool and then place butterflied chicken breast into brine. Let brine for 2 - 3 hours or for best results a full day.
2. Remove chickens from the brine and pat dry.
3. Mix all of the ingredients for the marinade in a bowl and add chickens. Let marinate for a minimum of 1 hour before cooking.
4. When ready to cook season the chicken with Salt and white pepper. Place into a pre-heated pan or grill and then weight it down with a brick that has been wrapped in foil completely. Cook skin side down first until 110 degrees. Flip over and place the brick back on the breast. Cook until internal temperature is at 150 degrees and allow to rest for 5 - 7 minutes. Internal temperature should be around 165 degrees.
1/2 cup Vanilla Ice Cream
1/4 cup Quark
2 Tbsp Cajeta Caramel
1. Pour all ingredients into a blender and blend until smooth.
Copyright 2012 Scripps Media, Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.