You can make this easy peachy rhubarb tart with your kids for a perfect Father's Day treat!
Monti Carlo, a host on MY103.9, says you can put this beautiful dessert on the table in under an hour with her secret weapon: puff pastry.
You can use almost any fruit for a tart; though she loves the combination of rhubarb and peaches, since they're in season and go amazing together topped with a sweet citrus ginger glaze.
· ½ cup sherry
· 1 tablespoon ground ginger
· ½ cup brown sugar
· 1/4 teaspoon vanilla
· 2 cups rhubarb (about 2 large stalks), thinly sliced diagonally (1/8 inch)
· 2 cups peaches (about 4 peaches), thinly sliced into half moons (1/4 inch)
· 1 sheet frozen puff pastry (from a 17 1/4-ounces package), thawed
· 1 tablespoon butter
· 1 tablespoon heavy cream
Lemon Cream Cheese
· 1 package cream cheese (8 oz)
· 1 egg
· 1/2 cup sugar
· 1 teaspoon vanilla
· 1 teaspoon lemon juice
· 1 teaspoon grated lemon zest
· Preheat oven to 400°F with rack in middle.
· Stir together sherry, ginger, sugar and vanilla in a bowl. Add rhubarb and peaches. Let stand, stirring occasionally, 10 minutes.
· Mix together all ingredients for cream cheese until smooth.
· Meanwhile, cut pastry in half lengthwise. Roll out each piece to an 11 by 7 inch rectangle on a lightly floured surface with a floured rolling pin. Arrange pastry rectangles side by side on an ungreased large baking sheet,
· Make a 1/2-inch border around each pastry rectangle by lightly scoring a line parallel to each edge (do not cut all the way through). Prick pastry inside border all over with a fork.
· Strain rhubarb/ peach mixture through a sieve set over a bowl, reserving liquid. Top 1 pastry rectangle (within border) with a thin layer of cream cheese and then rhubarb and peaches, overlapping slices slightly. Repeat with remaining pastry rectangle and rhubarb/ peach mixture.
· Bake until pastry is puffed and golden (underside of pastry should also be golden), about 30 minutes.
· Meanwhile, boil reserved rhubarb peach liquid in a small saucepan, skimming foam if necessary, until reduced to about 1/4 cup, 15 to 18 minutes. Add 1 tablespoon of butter and 1 tablespoon of heavy cream. Whisk until creamy.
· Transfer tarts to a rack. Drizzle rhubarb and pastry with sherry caramel and sprinkle with zest.
· Makes 8 servings
MY 103.9 is kicking off its "My Summer Vacation" series with a trip for two to Chicago to see Bon Jovi live! Listen to My Mornings With Monti to find out what song can take you there.
Mornings from 6 a.m. to noon on My 103.9 or online at my1039phoenix.com.
Copyright 2013 Scripps Media, Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.
More Sonoran Living